Mobile menu

Jargon Buster

SENCo, or Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator
This is the school teacher who is responsible for assessing, planning and monitoring the progress of children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

Schools Forum      

Every local authority has a schools forum. It made up of representatives from schools and academies, and some representation from other bodies, such as nursery and 14-19 education providers. The role of the schools forum includes looking at the local formula used to fund schools and SEND provision.

SEN Tribunal (SENDIST) 

An independent body that hears appeals against decisions made by the local authority on EHC plans.

SEND Code of Practice

This is the statutory guidance that supports Part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014. It tells local authorities, early years settings, schools, colleges, heath and social care providers and others what they must and should do to identify, assess and provide for children and young people with SEND.

SEN Information Report        

All schools must publish on their websites information about their policy and arrangements for supporting children with SEN. This must be kept up to date. The information that has to be included can be found in Section 6.79 of the SEND Code of Practice.

SEN Support

Every child with special educational needs should have SEN support. This means help that is additional to or different from the support given to most of the other children of the same age. The purpose of SEN support is to help children and young people achieve the outcomes or learning objectives set out for them by the school in conjunction with parents and pupils themselves. SEN Support replaces Early Years Action/Action Plus and School Action/Action Plus.

SEND Tribunal       

See 'First Tier Tribunal (SEND)'

Severe Learning difficulties (SLD)

People with severe learning difficulties (SLD) tend to have significant restrictions in relation to their cognitive and/or intellectual capacities. These can co-exist with physical, sensory, social and / or emotional difficulties thus making it difficult for a pupil with SLD to follow the school curriculum without substantial support. As a result they will have difficulties with learning skills and applying them to differing context. Pupils with SLD may also use symbols, or signing such as Makaton to help with communication.

Short Breaks

Short Breaks are services that families with a disabled child or young person in Brent can access, some of which are subject to an assessment. They aim to: 

  • Give parents and families a break from caring and time to recharge their batteries or spend quality time with their other children.
  • Help children and young people enjoy different experiences, make new friends and increase their personal and social development.  

Not all disabled children and their families will need the same level of support; some will require more than others because of the nature of their child’s disability and their individual circumstances.


Sometimes a service that provides information, advice and support may be asked for help that it is not able to give directly.

When this happens the person seeking information, advice or support may signposted to other service providers. This means that they will be given information, including contact details, about other sources of help.

Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO)

A SENCO is a qualified teacher in a school or maintained nursery school who has responsibility for co-ordinating SEND provision.

Special School

Special schools provide an education for children with a special educational need or disability. They are for children whose needs cannot be met within a mainstream setting, and whose parents or carers have agreed to, or requested, a special school placement. 


A Speech and Language Therapist (SALT) person who helps children and young people who have language difficulties or speech problems.


Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning

Silver Seal

An early intervention for children who need additional support in developing their social, emotional and behavioural skills


Social, Emotional and Mental Health


Special Educational Needs Advisory Panel


Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN)

Some children and young people find it difficult to listen, understand and communicate with others and may need support to develop these skills. SLCN is the umbrella term most commonly used to describe these difficulties. Children with SLCN may have difficulty with only one speech, language or communication skill, or with several. Children may have difficulties with listening and understanding or with talking or both. Each child also has a unique combination of strengths. This means that every child with SLCN is different.


Severe Learning Difficulties


Specific, measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Timebound (relating to targets)


Sign Supported English

Statement of Special Educational Needs      

Under the Education Act 1996 local authorities issued Statements of Special Educational Needs for children whose needs could not be met through the provision normally made by schools. The Children and Families Act 2014 replaced Statements with EHC plans. Children and young people who already had a Statement have been transferred over to the new system.

Statutory Guidance

Statutory Guidance is guidance that local authorities and other local bodies have a legal duty to follow.

Supported Living

Supported Living is a type of residential support that helps vulnerable adults, including people with learning disabilities, live in the community.






Go to the top of this page