Mobile menu

Jargon Buster

Early Education Settings

Pre-school education such as nursery classes and schools, day nurseries and playgroups.


English as an Additional Language


Every Child a Talker

Educational Psychologist (EP)

An educational psychologist is employed by the local authority. They play an important role in assessing your child’s educational needs and will give advice to schools to help them meet those needs.

Education Funding Agency (EFA)

The EFA is the government agency that funds education for learners between the ages of 3 and 19, and those with learning difficulties and disabilities between the ages of 3 and 25.

The EFA allocates funds to local authorities, which then provide the funding for maintained schools. The EFA directly funds academies and free schools.

Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment       

Local authorities must carry out an EHC needs assessment if a child or young person may need an EHC plan. The assessment is a detailed look at the special educational needs that the child or young person has and what help he or she may need in order to learn. It is sometimes called a statutory assessment. You can find out more in the SEND Code of Practice sections 9.45 – 9.52.

Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan      

An EHC plan describes the special educational needs that a child or young person has and the help that they will be given to meet them. It also includes the health and care provision that is needed. It is a legal document written by the local authority and is used for children and young people who have high support needs.


Emotional Literacy Support Assistant


Early years Foundation Stage


Training by Speech and Language Therapists to Education Staff






Go to the top of this page