Mobile menu

SEND Support and requesting an EHC Plan

Requesting an EHC Assessment and annual review queries

If you wish to make a request for an EHC Assessment. Complete the 'self referral form' (to the right) if you are over 16 and send it to this email address:
If you are under 16 your parent/carer will need to complete a form (to the right)
If you have any queries regarding annual reviews, including making a request for annual review for a young person moving to a college, contact:

Talk to your parent’s/careers and your school and college about any concerns you have about learning. The EHC Assessment process is 20 weeks long please see the poster that shows the different stages (on right). If you need help with requesting an EHC needs assessment or completing the form, you can also speak to Brent SEND Information, Advice and Support Service

Life after your EHC plan, if you want tailored advice during this period:


SEND Support

Your school/college should keep you informed about any extra support you are receiving and this should be reviewed regularly to ensure you are making the right level of progress and to adjust the level of support provided if needed. You can talk to the SENCO (special educational needs coordinator) at the school or the SEND Lead at college about support you think you need to help you access the curriculum

Most young people with SEND will have their needs met by their school or college


The SEND Code of Practice says that schools should use a 'graduated approach to support a child with SEND. This graduated approach has four steps: Assess, Plan, Do, and Review.

Teaching staff should work with the SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) to assess your needs, so they can give the right support. They should involve parents in this process and, wherever possible, seek your views. Sometimes schools will seek advice from a specialist teacher or a health professional. They should talk to you about this first.

If the school decides that you needs SEN support they must tell you and a parent. The school should talk with you about the outcomes that will be set, what help will be provided and agree a date for progress to be reviewed. This is often done through a SEND Support Plan.

Your teacher is usually responsible for the work that is done with you, and should work closely with any teaching assistants or specialist staff involved. The school should tell you and a parent who is responsible for the support you receive.

The school should review your progress, and the difference that the help you have been given has made, on the date agreed in the plan. You and a parent should be involved in the review and in planning the next step.

Some young people with more complex SEND may need an assessment to see if they would benefit from having an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan. This is a legal document which sets out any additional support to meet the special education needs.

An (EHC) plan is for children and young people (aged 0 to 25) with more complex educational needs who require additional support over and above what is available in a school or college


Go to the top of this page